Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Silver Cigarette Case

Dearest Daddy,                                                                                    Singapore, 25th November 2012

    Why is it when I'm in Singapore I feel that you are beside me. I wonder whether you ever visited the Arab quarter where I am staying? It looks to me that it hasn't changed very much except that there are a few trendy bars, restaurants and the backpacker place that I'm staying called Sleepy Kiwi which seems to be full of every nationality except Kiwis! Yesterday was an important day for me as I went to the Changi Museum to see for myself the display cabinet of your story. The last time I visited the Changi Museum was in 2006 when we went en famille as an "interesting, educational" family outing. I don't think any of the family will forget how deeply affected I was . I certainly hadn't planned it that way but the emotional key was unlocked and the tears flowed. Looking round and reading the stories of the terrible suffering that you all endured but yet it was the stories of courage and bravery that shone through, that affected me the most. I felt so ashamed that I knew so little about those dark years of your life.
   So yesterday I was welcomed by the Director of the museum and introduced to all the staff as your daughter! I had my photograph taken with him and I felt rather uncomfortable as all the tourists were staring, wondering who on earth I was! I had a personal guided tour with the Director and then was taken out for lunch and was able to talk with knowledge about the Fall of Singapore. The exhibition itself is a small display case with the famous silver cigarette case, your Military Cross medal and a short description of the massacre in the operating theatre with newspaper cuttings. There is of course a photograph of your wedding day with the beautiful Elizabeth. Apparently it will become part of the permanent exhibition in 2015 when they are planning to redo the museum but for now it is seen by thousands of visitors who flock to the museum. The story of how you were saved by the cigarette case, given to you by Mummy, is actually one of those stories that is recounted and known by many, in association with the Alexandra Hospital Massacre, which will probably seem strange to you after so many years. Maybe the romantic element has captured the imagination of people. I know that you will say that it was nothing but I felt very proud to be still known as Tom Smiley's daughter.

                               Missing you always,

                                    All my love,

                                       Fiona

                                                               The Arab Quarter

1 comment:

  1. Dear Fiona,
    Reading this has filled me will emotion. I knew your parents as they were friends with my parents. We met on holiday in Tunisia in the 70s and from then on they were great friends. Your parents lived in NI then. My mother was from Sydenham in Belfast and her parents lived there, so we visited regularly and I recall having afternoon tea at Streamville. When your Dad came home from work he introduced me to the horses. If I remember correctly they were Big Fred and Miss Lindy who was your horse (and wasn't there an incident when your Dad had to stitch her up?). My mum, Betty, and Elizabeth corresponded right up until your Mum's death and I still have some of your Mum's letters which I found after my Mum died in 2016.
    Your parents were both amazing people who I will near ever forget. They had so many fascinating stories to tell and I don't think I have ever met two people so devoted to each other.
    I hope you get this message and it finds you well and Happy.
    Jill x

    ReplyDelete