Monday, February 20, 2012

The 70 th Anniversary of the Fall of Singapore


Raffles


St Andrew's Cathedral

The old Government House













The Capitol
My Dearest Daddy,
   I think you might be very surprised that I was in Singapore on this historical date. I certainly never showed the slightest interest in your "war experiences" when you were alive but nor did you show any inclination to talk about those times except for odd stories that came up now and then. Since my last visit here however I'm now looking at Singapore through your eyes. The wonderful pictures and descriptions you wrote in your letters to Mummy have brought it alive for me.This is a place that has changed so much in the last 50 years that at first I thought that it might be unrecognisable to you but some places haven't changed at all and some of the colonial architectural gems are still there in all their glory. I visited Fort Canning where you were stationed for two years and the magnificent mature trees and plants were just as I am imagined they were like when you were here. The actual Fort Canning HQ (unchanged) has now become a Music and Drama centre and the gardens are now a park where open air concerts are held. They have recently renovated the bunker  and made wax models of the people in the final talks before the surrender of Singapore. There were many school trips going round especially for the anniversary.  Government House has now become the National Singapore Museum and looks absolutely splendid. I indulged myself in wandering around Raffles Hotel and to me apart from the contents in the shops it looked like it hadn't changed in all those years. Sadly many of the shops in Raffles Place have been demolished and replaced by huge towering hotels but St Andrew's Cathedral remains the same and the Art Deco Cinema The Capitol where you watched Gone With the Wind looks like that is going to be reopened. Orchard Road would be unrecognisable now as it is full of hotels and shopping malls. Chinatown is now a Heritage site and is absolutely exquisite with all the beautifully painted houses and shops and the quayside that used to be full of Chinese boats and powerful smells has now been cleaned and has only a few tourist boats.
    I suppose the most important place for me to visit was the Alexandra Hospital which I only discovered was still there and continues to be used as a hospital. I thought that it would be unrecognisable so you can imagine my surprise to see that it hadn't changed since it was completed in 1940. The mature trees and the gardens remain and in among there is a little pond with a plaque describing the terrible massacre. I walked around the hospital and of course it had been updated but essentially it was just the same. It was just a normal busy hospital and you'll be glad that the horrors of that day have disappeared into time. I expect that I was the only "pilgrim" to visit the hospital and I sat in the garden grateful that no one else had remembered. So my last visit of "your day" was to the Kranji Memorial  Service which was very close to where the hospital barracks where you lived for the last year as POW. It was all very well done and organised. There were many VIP's (or thought they were!) there to pay their respects and there were many beautiful readings and songs sung. The Singapore Army were out in force and played the last post beautifully. Only a few veterans were present but a courageous 93 year old Indian managed to lay a wreath. The rest of us (I believe a thousand) were family members and interested onlookers and I walked up the Avenue to the Memorial with a young Japanese lady and the only time I felt that I might breakdown was when we signed the visitors book together and I felt how fitting and appropriate that was and how pleased you would have been that time has healed the bitterness.
    I was sorry that I hadn't brought a wreath or even a bunch of flowers and no one laid one from the Royal Army Medical Corps so I hope you forgive me. I remembered Humphrey and said a little prayer for him.  Mostly I came away thinking what a wonderful place Singapore was and how much they are to be admired for creating such a successful economy and a clean and safe place to live - you would be so impressed Daddy. I feel that this will be last time that there is any need to remember and one of the readings at the service was very fitting.

 You, the mothers who sent their sons from far away countries, wipe away your tears.
Your sons are now lying in our bosum and are in peace,
After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.        Kemal Ataturk 1934

 Here is to the long peaceful future of Singapore.

            Missing you always,    All my love, Your Nona

Fort Canning
The final talks before the surrender

The Alexandra Hospital
Chinatown
 
        


2 comments:

  1. Sorry about the error - Gone With the Wind - of course, silly me! Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fiona

    Just been catching up with your blog and enjoying the photos. It would be lovely to meet up again - perhaps this summer - and you can fill in all the extra detail.

    Thinking of you all

    Derek & Barb

    xx

    ReplyDelete